“Your heart pounds, chest heaves, muscles tighten. Senses sharpen, time slips into slow motion and you become impervious to pain. Under certain conditions, this would be an appropriate healthy reaction, because now you are prepared to do battle. The trouble is, however, that you are probably still sitting in your car or at your desk – stewing in your own juices.” (The Franklin Institute) We have learned in western civilization to turn on stress and anxiety without really having to think about it. Yet, we have not learned how to turn it off. I have taught and coached so many people who go to bed at night with their minds racing making it near impossible for them to go to sleep and wake up rested.
It’s time to relax and win the battle over stress. Here are some ideas for you to consider:
1) Derail your typical train of thoughts. There are many ways to do this but here is a simple one. Turn negative and circular thinking into affirmations. So, you can take “I fear losing my job” and transform it to, “I deserve to celebrate creating the career of my dreams today.” It’s all about what we believe and the perspective we choose.
2) See your “problems” as opportunities. Haven’t you successfully navigated most of your “problems” in the past? Typically, the worst thing did not happen…right? This too shall pass.
3) Exercise. When you get home from work today go for a 20 minute plus walk. If you can, don’t walk on the tread master but go walk at the local park or at the beach or some other place that helps you relax just by showing up. If you can’t, the treadmill is fine.
Additionally, if you are medically able, get a good workout 3-4 times a week. Work up a good sweat. Ask a friend to partner with you to help support each other’s consistency and intensity.
4) Eat healthy. Take a look at the “nutritarian” website as an example. Regardless, find a way to eat that supports health, energy and vitality.
5) What kind of music do you like? Listen to something in your preferred genre that is peaceful, soothing and inspires “happy” thoughts.
Ok, these are some quick things you can engage today. There are many other techniques that can even increase productivity without increasing anxiety. Register for a FREE Coaching Session right now to discuss these alternatives.